Friday, April 9, 2010

Little Girl


Little Girl
Originally uploaded by Stephafoo
I'm still using my spilled/dripped paint technique that I have come up with but now I am using this technique in my figures staying true to my inspiration from John Copeland. I also am avoiding detail in the faces because I don't want to get too personal with these figures.

Everyone always asks me how I start these pieces and where I get my inspiration. Some of these pieces, like the landscapes, always come from a beginning sketch(s) and I also use grids and rulers to make sure each building and structure is architecturally "sculpted" correctly. The drips and spills in paint adds a new twist to the traditional landscapes and structures.
My new paintings with the figures actually started out as a study of figures. Using an old photograph as inspiration, I start out painting the skin of each figure with acrylic paint and emphasizing each pigment of color. After, I go back over each figure with wall paint every time there is a fold in clothing.

I'm really proud of these pieces. My mom actually hates these but I love em!

No comments:

Post a Comment